The Skin is the largest organ in the body. As we age, all physical mechanisms slow down and we see the effects. We cannot change the natural aging process, called “intrinsic aging”. With time we all get visible lines on our face. it is natural for our skin to lose some of its youthful fullness. We can notice our skin becoming thinner, sagging, and drier. Our genes are largely in control of these changes.
Another type of aging that we have some influence in changing is “extrinsic aging”. Our environment and lifestyle choices can cause our skin to age prematurely, but by taking some preventive actions, we can slow the effects these choices have on our skin.
Here are some tips to prevent premature aging of your skin.
1. Protect your skin from the sun. Whether spending the day at the beach or running errands, sun protection is essential. Seek shade covering up with clothing and using sunscreen that is broad-spectrum, SPF 30 (or higher), and water resistant. You should apply sunscreen everyday to all areas that are not covered by clothing for best protection.
2. Apply self-tanners rather than getting a tan. Every time you set out tog et a tan, you prematurely age your skin. This holds true if you are getting a tan form the sun, tanning bed, brother indoor tanning equipment. all of these emit harmful UV rays that speed up how quickly your skin ages.
3. If you smoke, STOP. Smoking greatly speeds up how quickly skin ages. It causes wrinkles clogged pores and a dull, shallow complexion.
4. Avoid repetitive facial expressions. When you make a facial expression, you contract the underlying facial muscles. Repeated contraction of the same muscles for many years case these lines to become permanent. Wearing sunglasses can help in reducing fine lines around the eye area caused by squinting.
5. Eat a healthy, balanced diet. Eating plenty of fruits and vegetables amy help in preventing damage that leads to premature aging. Research shows that a diet high in sugar and refined carbohydrates can accelerate aging.
6. Drink less alcohol. Alcohol dehydrates the skin and damages the skin making us look older.
7. Find time to Exercise. Moderate exercise improves circulation and boost immune system giving your skin a more-youthful appearance.
8. Clease your skin gently twice a day. Scrubbing your skin will irritate and cause premature aging. Gently washing your skin in the am and pm will help remove pollution, makeup and other substances that have accumulated on the surface.
9. Apply a facial moisturizer that won’t clog your pores everyday. Moisturizers trap water in our skin, giving it a more youthful appearance. It will help in Plumping the skin giving a dewy look.
10. Stop using harsh skin care products that are not recommended for your skin type. When your skin burns or stings, it means your skin is irritated. Irritating your skin can make you look older. Some anti aging products may burn or sting at first but with the right instructions giving it should subside. Seeing a Licensed Skincare Specialist who can recommend skincare products suitable for your skincare concerns is recommended. They will help you target those concerns and get you on a daily program to help you improve your skins appearance.
People who already have signs of aging skin an benefit from making lifestyle changes. Adding in a daily skincare regime and monthly visits to a skincare specialist may help in improving one’s complexion and giving you a younger-looking skin appearance.